Friday, April 25, 2014

Daffodils (William Wordsworth)



I WANDERED lonely as a cloud 
 That floats on high o'er vales and hills, 
 When all at once I saw a crowd, 
 A host, of golden daffodils; 
 Beside the lake, beneath the trees, 
 Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. 

Continuous as the stars that shine 
 And twinkle on the milky way, 
 They stretched in never-ending line 
 Along the margin of a bay: 
 Ten thousand saw I at a glance, 
 Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. 

 The waves beside them danced; but they 
 Out-did the sparkling waves in glee: 
 A poet could not but be gay, 
 In such a jocund company: 
 I gazed--and gazed--but little thought 
 What wealth the show to me had brought: 

 For oft, when on my couch I lie 
 In vacant or in pensive mood, 
 They flash upon that inward eye 
 Which is the bliss of solitude; 
 And then my heart with pleasure fills, 
 And dances with the daffodils. 

Note:  the flowers in the above pictures are actually jonquils, but they look like tiny daffodils, don't they?  The little girl is Aravis, lo, these many years ago...

No comments: